Monday, May 31, 2010

The Blessing of Buttons


I LOVE THE BUTTONS! <3

Jon and Julia Button have graciously taken me in. They picked me up Saturday after work and introduced me to my new space.

I could have cried. It is absolutely positively delightfully perfect!
The Buttons are amazing people. They take such great care of me. Julia makes sure I am fed and watered and Jon makes sure there are no spiders and the heat in my room is up. They show me how to do things step by step, and make me feel so welcome.
Sunday I slept in, they left for church, and then I showered. They have these fabulous little mirror tiles laid right into the wall. After a skype with mom Julia served up the traditional Sunday England Super. Beef with mash potatoes, yorkshire pudding (see "words!" blog), vegetables, roasted potatoes, and gravy all over! Delicious is about the only word I can come up with. The meal itself also reminds me a lot of the south. I thought of my grandmother with every bite. The Almacks (CLC people, who introduced the interns to British culture pre crossing the pond) in England you are supposed to eat slowly with your fork in the left hand and the knife in the other. They may have trained me too well, I was the last to finish eating. After the plates had been cleared a rubarb crumble with a bit of custard was brought. The custard is warm and liquid. After this, the tea was prepared and we sat around for a while chatting, by the way I take my tea with two sugars. What I mean when I say "we" is Jon; Julia; their daughter, Anna; their son, Andrew and his wife, Rebecca and their twin daughters, Lucy and Jessica; and me. We watched the twins play for a couple of hours then had more tea and some sponge cake. I like the double dessert rule on Sunday.
After everyone left Jon, Julia, and I went for a walk. About thirty minutes long, but very productive. They showed me two different bus routes to town, but most importantly where I would normally get on and off the bus for work. We came back and ate toast and cheese as I introduced them to my home in the states. I tried marmite, I like it, but I now understand the need for moderation! For all of you yanks, it taste sort of like red eye gravy, but congealed. Thank you Button Family for a wonderfully restful sunday. Thank you Lord for the Buttons and for such and amazing Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment