Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Paris Day 1 Saturday July 3rd


Paris is only one of the most amazing places.
I went with Brian and Mac. They are two other interns for CIU. We had a great time. It was stressful, but it was a great adventure! I learned a good bit about myself and about communication. Speaking of communication there are a few things that should be clarified before reading this blog. When I say train I mean above ground and when I say tube I mean underground like subway. Tube change is when you get off of one and move up or down levels to get on another.
(this is what 5a.m. looks like in London)
Starting at 6:50 p.m. Friday, July 2nd it took 1 train, 3 tube changes, and a taxi to get to Gypsy Hill in London to stay with Lenea(another CIU/CLC intern)so I could leave for Paris the next morning. (Thanks Lenea for letting me crash at your place!) Lenea and I ate pretzels and frozen Lasagna, while we giggled about "yankee" stuff. We are both very southern, but in England if your from the states your a yank. Actually we talked about how hot it was. It was 80, I am going to pass out when I get back to South Carolina.

Then Saturday starting at 5:00 it took 1 train, a 4 block walk, 2 tube changes, 1 more tube change (because we got confused), and an airplane to get to Paris. At 12:15 we landed and made our way through customs(which is the new bane of my existence). There was supposed to be a shuttle to take us to the hotel but that fell through (wimps). It then took a train, 2 tube changes, 2 difficult but fun multi-lingualconversations, and a taxi to get to the Best Western, where Mac had been waiting for us for almost 2 hours(it was 4 o'clock by the time we got there)(Sorry Mac). Exhausted and hungry we put our luggage in our rooms and set out to explore Paris, the city of love, and walking. ;)
First on the list of things to do was to FIND FOOD. Looking for a cheap place to eat was a complete fail. We walk into Zeyer, where we find a menu with things listed separately. Thats right we managed to wander into a restaurant that requires you to order every item individually. We ordered appetizers and left. But first we made our waiter translate the entire left side of the menu. Ahh Paris' ;) After we left we walked to the nearest market and bought a sandwich, well I had a baguette and let me tell you it may have been one of the best pieces of bread I have ever eaten in my life.
It is now 6:30 p.m. and what do we do we begin to walk. We wanted to take pictures at the top of Mountparnasse at sunset. Mountparnasse is this ridiculously huge building that allows you to not only see all of Paris, but also allows you to watch the sun set behind the Tour Eiffel.
We found the building then decided to adventure a little before heading up, because the sun sets around 9:30 in Paris during the summer. Turning to leave we noticed guy dressed in full skiing attire with skiing equipment standing on this wall type thing surrounded by his buddies, who had there cameras out. I thought he was going to try to ski down this slightly sloped wall thing he was on. Kodak moment right...WRONG! He started swaying, then he took his gloves off and throw them to various members of the audience, and then unzipping his jacket... It did not take long to figure out just what was going on. At this point I said, "Self I don't think he is doing what you thought he was going to do." Escape! Escape! How do I escape this situation. The wall thing was kind of blocking the exit. I turned my head and walked quickly and Brian says something like, yeah you probably shouldn't look. So that was a fun adventure...haha Ahh Paris'
Moving right a long. We walked around for a while and took pictures of this big building that had a golden dome roof.



















I don't think it was a masque, but I actually have no idea what it was. We walked along the river, then headed back to Mountparnasse to watch the sunset and to take pictures of course.
At Mountparnasse we took 900 pictures too many. In all seriousness when your in a place so far away can you really take too many pictures? I think not. There was a beautiful sunset and after it finally set and there was no light to be seen the Eiffel Tower decided to put on a little show of its own. It sparkles at night, did you know that, because I didn't. It was so great!
After mount parnasse we got lost, but got to the hotel around 12:30 and decided to meet in the morning around 9 (I think. I couldn't remember then either. The boys came and got me.)

No comments:

Post a Comment